Military Academy Nominations - FAQ
Members of Congress may nominate applicants who meet the eligibility requirements established by law. A candidate may seek a nomination from the following:
- A member of the U.S. House of Representatives who represents the congressional district in which the candidate resides
- Both U.S. Senators from his or her state
- The Vice-President of the United States
What are the basic eligibility requirements?
Each applicant for a nomination must meet the following eligibility requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- Age: Be at least 17 years old, but not have passed the 23rd birthday
- Citizenship: Must be a U.S. citizen
- Marital Status: Must be unmarried, not pregnant, and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents
- Residence: Must reside within the boundaries of the 41st Congressional District of California.
- Skill / Fitness: Must meet the medical, physical, and academic requirements of the Academy.
Who do I contact to request an application?
Visit Takano.house.gov/academies or contact my office at 951-222-0203 to request a nomination packet.
When do I apply for a nomination?
My nomination application period is open year round Applications must be received by the deadline the year prior to the time of expected appointment. For example applicants must submit the application before November 1st if they intend to receive an appointment for Fall of the next school year.
What is the deadline for completing a nomination file?
The deadline for submitting a nomination packet to my District Office is November 1. Please contact my office at 951-222-0203 for more specifics.
What must be included in my nomination file?
A complete nomination file consists of the following items:
- Most Recent High school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- Completed application from our website
- At least one letter of recommendation from a coach or teacher and one letter of recommendation from a counselor or school administrator are required
A third letter of recommendation may be accepted, but is not required
What happens after I have completed my nomination file?
Applicants who submit a completed nomination file will be scheduled for an interview in late November or early December. Applicants will be notified by the end of December as to whether they have received the nomination.
What criteria are used in selecting candidates?
Nominations are based on a "whole person" evaluation. Factors such as academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership skills, physical aptitude, character and motivation are taken into consideration and compared with other applicants.
How many academies are there?
There are five service academies.
- U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York
- U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland
- U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut
Are the requirements the same for all of the service academies?
No. Although many of the qualifications are similar, each academy operates under its own admissions guidelines. Visit the academy of your choice via the websites noted for each academy's particular admissions qualifications. It is not necessary to seek a nomination to the Coast Guard Academy, as the U.S.C.G.A. accepts candidates based on their own testing criteria.
Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf?
Two letters of recommendation are required including one of each of the following:
- A Teacher or Coach
- A Counselor or Vice Principal
Additional letters of recommendation may be accepted from:
- Extracurricular Staff
- Scout Leaders
Will I automatically be selected by the academy after I receive a nomination?
No. You will be placed among a select group of nominees, and the academy of your choice will make the final decision. If selected, you will receive an offer of admission (an appointment) directly from the academy.
What if I choose more than one academy? Will I be limited to a single nomination?
No. You can be nominated to multiple academies depending on how well you have competed among this year's pool of candidates. It is also possible to win multiple appointments.
When will I know if I have been offered an appointment by an academy?
Academies will begin to notify candidates of their admission status in February. All offers of appointment are generally sent out by May.